- Activate the network you’ve built over the last four years to find right person to talk to.
- If no one knows anyone, go to step 2.
- If they do, go to step 3.
- Look in the company directory for the right title in what you think is the right department.
- Email, hoping that you get a response in a few days.
- If they are the right person, proceed to step 6.
Of course, chances are, they are not the right person, or even in the right department, so if they do get back to you, they’ll have to either pass you on to who they believe you will need, or if they don’t know anyone go to step 5.
- Go back to steps 1-3 until you’re successful.
Note: Now over a week has gone by, if not two. The time to complete your research and submit to the committee is getting short (not good).
- Success! You’ve found the expert. Find time on their calendar.
- Fail! They’re booked 2 weeks out.
- Finally, you talk with them and get the answers you need.
- Start developing your strategy.
It’s now a fire drill and you’ll be working all night for the next week to get it done.
Result: Nearly a month has gone by and you’re burning the midnight oil in hopes of being able to deliver your findings on time.